Professor of Linguistics
Office: 1216 Dwinelle Hall
Biography and Research
Ph.D., Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley, 1980
M.A. French, Florida State University
B.A. French, Florida State University
Languages: Classical and Vedic Sanskrit, Avestan, Old Persian, Greek, Latin, Italic dialects, Hittite, Hieroglyphic Luwian, Gothic, Old Norse-Icelandic, Old English, Old Irish, Lithuanian, Old Church Slavic
Biography and publications: Before joining Berkeley's Department of Linguistics, Holland taught as a Lecturer in Scandinavian Studies and in Near Eastern Studies. His research interests fall into three main areas: comparative Indo-European linguistics (especially syntax and poetics), general historical linguistics, and language typology. His metrical restoration and edition of the Rigveda (co-authored with Barend van Nooten) appeared in 1994. In addition to working on some questions raised by the Rig Veda edition he is currently completing two monographs, one on word order change and the other on relative constructions in the early Indo-European languages.
- Rig Veda: A Metrically Restored Text with an Introduction and Notes, 2nd edn.
- "Active and Passive in Hittite Infinitival Constructions", in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference: Los Angeles, November 5th and 6th, 2010, ed. by Stephanie W. Jamison, H. Craig Melchert, and Brent Vine (Bremen: Hempen, 2011)
- The Tale of Zalpa: Myth, Morality, and Coherence in a Hittite Narrative, with Marina Zorman (Studia Mediterranea, Series Hethaea, 5, 2007)
- Review of Benjamin W. Fortson IV, Indo-European Language and Culture: an introduction. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2007.
- "Kennings, metaphors, and semantic formulae in Old Norse dróttkvætt". Arkiv för Nordisk Filologi 118 (2005) 123-147
- "Syntactic Reconstruction", in The International Encyclopedia of Linguistics, 2nd edn. (New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003), ed. by William Frawley, vol. 3, 448-450
- "Relativization and Word Order in Old Irish and Vedic Sanskrit", Journal of Indo-European Studies 24 (1996) 323-331
- "Irish Poetry and Norse Dróttkvætt", with John Lindow, in A Celtic Florilegium: Studies in Memory of Brendan O Hehir, ed. by Kathryn A. Klar, Eve E. Sweetser, and Claire Thomas (1996), pp. 54-62
- Rig Veda: A Metrically Restored Text with an Introduction and Notes, with B. A. van Nooten (Harvard Oriental Series, 50, 1994)
- "The Name of Achilles: A Revised Etymology", Glotta 71 (1993) 17-27
- "Transitivity, Causativity, and Surface Case in Old Norse", Arkiv för Nordisk Filologi 108 (1993) 19-37