What is the Sawyer Scholarship?
The Department of Linguistics is excited to offer a new scholarship, the Sawyer Scholarship for Applied Linguistics, to be awarded for Summer projects.
The Sawyer scholarship is awarded to a UC Berkeley undergraduate student to pursue a summer project or activity within any area of applied linguistics. This could be a research project, an internship, engagement with language teaching or learning, development of language teaching or learning materials, shadowing of a professional in the applicant’s intended career path, or some other applied linguistics project. We anticipate that the scholarship amount will be $2500-$4000.
All majors and class standing may apply if you meet all of the following:
- You are an undergraduate student currently enrolled at UC Berkeley.
- You are in good academic standing with a minimum 2.0 GPA at UC Berkeley.
- Your project falls within applied linguistics (if in doubt, talk to your project sponsor).
Application guidelines and process
Please contact Lingmajoradvisor@berkeley.edu to request the online application. The application should include:
- Your name and transcript of your UC Berkeley course work (transcript can be a screen shot, no official transcript required).
- A brief description (up to 1 page) of what project or activity you intend to pursue.
- A brief statement (up to 1 page) explaining why you would like to do this project or activity, including the goals of the project or activity and how they fit with your larger educational and/or career goals, and your preparation for doing the project or activity, including course work, personal background, work experience (volunteer or paid).
- Name, affiliation, and contact information of project sponsor. The project sponsor can be a linguistics faculty member, a faculty member from another department or another educational institution, or an off-campus professional or specialist.
The online application opens in early February .
Applicants will be notified in late March.
If you have questions, please contact the Undergraduate Staff Advisor, Martine Alexander, at Lingmajoradvisor@berkeley.edu .