Please send information and news of departmental interest to Andrew Garrett.
Afterwards, fire up your favorite internet machine and check out Cal Linguistics undergraduate Nico Esquenazi's new YouTube channel on language! (But taxes are due on Monday, so don't get carried away.)
- Friday, April 15
- 3–5: Rotund Robin (Syntax and Semantics Circle, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3–5: Rick Kern (Berkeley), "Technologies and Literacies in Language Education: Looking Beyond Communication Competence" (Berkeley Language Center, B-4 Dwinelle)
- Monday, April 18
- 12–1: Alicia Beckford Wassink (University of Washington), "English in the Pacific Northwest: the perception study" (Phonetics and Phonology Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 2–3: SPREAD (Sociophonetic Research Exchange and Discussion, 52 Dwinelle)
- 3–4:30: Alicia Beckford Wassink (University of Washington), "Reanalysis and conventionalization of a universal phonetic pattern in Washington State English" (Linguistics Colloquium, 370 Dwinelle)
- Tuesday, April 19
- 12:30–2: Discussion of summer fieldwork plans and fears (Fieldwork Forum, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Wednesday, April 20
- 5–6: SLUGS LRAP Living Catalog (Society of Linguistics UndergraduateS, 3401 Dwinelle)
- Friday, April 22
- Saturday, April 23
- 9am – 9pm: Bay Area Esperanto Workshop (1229 Dwinelle, hosted by the Society of Linguistics UndergraduateS; RSVP)
- Around the Bay Area
On April 7 Julia Nee presented a paper at COLOV 7, the Coloquio sobre Lenguas Otomangues y Vecinas, in Ciudad de Oaxaca:
- "Exponencia múltiple en el zapoteco de Mitla y su explicación sincrónica"
Welcome back, Julia!
This month's Inkling (our social hour) will take place on Wednesday, April 27, 3:30–5 pm. Please mark your calendars! On this occasion we will enjoy a pleasing contest concerning reasons to join the Linguistic Society of America.