Please send contributions (information and news of departmental interest) to Andrew Garrett.
- to Christine and Eoin Siail, who welcomed a baby girl Phaedra Rose on August 28; and
- to Larry Hyman, who has been invited to give the 2015 Henry Sweet Lecture at the annual meeting of the Linguistics Association of Great Britain.
- ICAL 13: International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics (Taipei, July 18-23)
- abstract deadline September 15
- CUSP 7: California Universities Semantics and Pragmatics (UCLA, November 7-8)
- abstract deadline September 22
- WSCLA 20: Workshop on the Structure and Constituency of the Languages of the Americas (Univ. of Arizona, January 23-25)
- abstract deadline October 10
- "We welcome papers that address diachronic, sociolinguistic, or applied topics from a formal perspective, and we are especially interested in papers seeking to correlate the interests of formal linguists and the concerns of indigenous communities."
- CSANA 2015: Celtic Studies Association of North America, meeting with the 37th California Celtic Conference (Berkeley, March 5-8)
- abstract deadline November 20 (submit abstracts by email to Eve Sweetser)
- "welcomes scholarly presentations on any area of Celtic studies — e.g., Celtic languages, literatures, history, linguistics, folklore, archeology, and art"
- Townsend Center Conference & Lecture Grants: September 12
- Townsend Center Dissertation and Faculty Fellowships: November 14
- ACLS Fellowship: September 24
- Stanford Humanities Center Fellowship: October 1
- NIH Research Project Grant: October 5
- NSF-NEH Documenting Endangered Languages: October 6
- Mellon/ACLS Dissertation Completion Fellowship: October 22
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship: November 3
- NIH Individual Research Fellowship: December 8
CogNetwork (W 1–2:30)
- September 10: Till Bergmann (UC Merced)
Fieldwork Forum (Fforum, W 11–12, 1303 Dwinelle)
- September 10: "Debriefing from the summer's fieldwork II"
Group in American Indian Languages (GAIL, occasional W evenings)
- September 17: "Debriefing from the summer's fieldwork III" (potluck meeting, all are welcome!)
Historical linguistics forum (*dhworom, every other W 3–4, 1229 Dwinelle)
- September 17: Michael Weiss (Cornell & Berkeley), "The phonetics/phonology of the PIE laryngeals and the name of Cilicia in the Iron Age"
Phonetics and Phonology Forum (Phorum, M 12–1, 223 Dwinelle)
- September 8: Myfany Turpin (University of Queensland), "Linguistic fieldwork and song"
Sociophonetic Reading Exchange and Discussion (SPREAD, F 1-2, Linguistics lounge)
- September 5: Introductory meeting
Syntax & Semantics Circle (F 3–4:30, 1303 Dwinelle)
- September 5: Peter Jenks, "NP and DP in classifier languages"
- September 12: Syntax Circle Round Robin