September 27, 2014
Please send contributions (information and news of departmental interest) to Andrew Garrett.
- The editor reports the sad news that Anna Morpurgo Davies passed away yesterday in Oxford. Many of us will remember her visits to Berkeley as the Sather Professor of Classical Literature in 2000, as a Visiting Professor of Linguistics in 2006 and 2007, and as a faculty member at the 2009 Linguistic Institute. She leaves behind a rich legacy of enduring scholarship, and a network of grieving friends and family around the world.
- Leanne Hinton gave the keynote address at a panel on Culture and Language Vitality Assessment in Washington, D.C., Sept. 22-23, for the Smithsonian Institution's Recovering Voices initiative.
- Colloquium (M 3-4:30)
- Oct. 6: Sharon Inkelas, "The A-map model: Articulatory reliability in child-specific phonology"
- CogNetwork (W 1–2:30, 2308 Tolman)
- Oct. 1: Katie Sardinha (Berkeley), "Semantic Fieldwork on Cognitive State and Process Terms"
- Historical linguistics forum (*dhworom, every other W 3–4, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Oct. 1: James A. Matisoff (Berkeley), "Prefixal dynamics in Tibeto-Burman: clearing up some misconceptions"
- Meaning Sciences Club
- Tues. Sept. 30 (2:30–4, 234 Moses Hall): Melissa Fusco (Berkeley), "Deontic Disjunction"
- Phonetics and Phonology Forum (Phorum, M 12–1, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Sept. 29: Larry Hyman (Berkeley), "Initial Vowel Length in Lulamogi: Cyclity or Globality?"
- Sociophonetic Reading Exchange and Discussion (SPREAD, F 1-2, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Syntax & Semantics Circle (F 3–4:30, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Oct. 3: Masoud Jasbi (Stanford)
- WSCLA 20: Workshop on the Structure and Constituency of the Languages of the Americas (Univ. of Arizona, Jan. 23-25)
- abstract deadline Oct. 10
- WCCFL 33: West Coast Conference on Formal Linguisics (Simon Fraser Univ., March 27-29)
- abstract deadline Oct. 21
- CSANA 2015: Celtic Studies Association of North America, meeting with the 37th California Celtic Conference (Berkeley, March 5-8)
- abstract deadline Nov. 20 (submit abstracts by email to Eve Sweetser)
- Stanford Humanities Center Fellowship: Oct. 1
- NIH Research Project Grant: Oct. 5
- NSF-NEH Documenting Endangered Languages: Oct. 6
- Townsend Center Faculty Fellowships: Nov. 14