Please send contributions (information and news of departmental interest) to Andrew Garrett.
Congratulations to Amalia Skilton! Her paper abstract "Three speakers, four dialects: documenting variation in an endangered Amazonian language" has won her a scholarship that amounts to an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii to attend the 4th International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation, February 26 – March 1. (The full dossier of Berkeley students and faculty attending ICLDC will be divulged later.)
- Colloquium (M 3-4:30)
- Oct. 6: Sharon Inkelas, "The A-map model: Articulatory reliability in child-specific phonology"
- CogNetwork (W 1–2:30, 2308 Tolman)
- Oct. 8: Katrien Beuls (Vrije Universiteit Brussel), "Computational Construction Grammar for Speech"
- Fieldwork Forum (Fforum, W 11–12, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Oct. 8: Stephanie Farmer (Berkeley)
- Found in Translation working group (FIT, F 10:30 – 11:30, 33 Dwinelle Hall, Berkeley Language Center)
- Oct. 10: FIT will be discussing a recent New York Times article, "Presidential Candidate in Navajo Nation Protests a Language Requirement"
- Phonetics and Phonology Forum (Phorum, M 12–1, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Oct. 6: Gregory Finley (Berkeley), "Recruitment of dual-source binaural cues by hearing impaired listeners"
- Sociophonetic Reading Exchange and Discussion (SPREAD, F 1-2, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Syntax & Semantics Circle (F 3–4:30, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Oct. 3: Masoud Jasbi (Stanford)
- Oct. 10: Karen Lahousse (Leuven)
- WSCLA 20: Workshop on the Structure and Constituency of the Languages of the Americas (Univ. of Arizona, Jan. 23-25)
- abstract deadline Oct. 10
- WCCFL 33: West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (Simon Fraser Univ., March 27-29)
- abstract deadline Oct. 21
- "Linguistic Landscape: Questioning Boundaries, Opening Spaces" (Berkeley, May 7-9)
- abstract deadline Nov. 1
- CSANA 2015: Celtic Studies Association of North America, meeting with the 37th California Celtic Conference (Berkeley, March 5-8)
- abstract deadline Nov. 20 (submit abstracts by email to Eve Sweetser)
- NIH Research Project Grant: Oct. 5
- Humanities Research Fellowships and Mellon Project Grants: Oct. 6
- NSF-NEH Documenting Endangered Languages: Oct. 6
- Townsend Center Faculty Fellowships: Nov. 14