Please send information and news of departmental interest to Andrew Garrett.
Clara Cohen is now a postdoctoral researcher at the Center for Language Science at Pennsylvania State University". Congratulations to Clara!
- Monday, August 31
- 1–2:30: Eve Sweetser and Isaac Smith (UC Berkeley), "Conditional constructions, gestural space, and mental spaces" (CogNetwork, 1229 Dwinelle)
- 2–3: Larry M. Hyman, "Why underlying representations?" (Phonetics and Phonology Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3–5: Beth Levin (Stanford), "The puzzle of nonselected NP resultatives" (Linguistics Colloquium, 370 Dwinelle)
- 3–4:30: Marc Garellek (UC San Diego), "What is creaky voice ("vocal fry"), and why do we use it?" (UC Merced CogSci Colloquium)
- 4–5:30: Dorit Ravid (Tel Aviv), "Learning Hebrew adjectives at the interface of morphology and register" (GSE/SESAME Colloquium, 3515 Tolman)
- Tuesday, September 1
- 9:30–11: Summer fieldwork discussion (Fieldwork Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- Thursday, September 3
- 12:30–2: Harald Baayen, Petar Milin, and Michael Ramscar (Tübingen), "Age of acquisition and subtitle frequencies: A critical assessment" (Linguistics 208, 370 Dwinelle)
- Friday, September 4
- 3–5: Syntax and semantics round robin (Syntax and Semantics Circle, 1303 Dwinelle)
37th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (July, Pasadena)
- Geoff Bacon, Yang Xu, and Terry Regier, "Tense systems across languages support efficient communication"
- Alexandra Carstensen, Jing Xu, Cameron T. Smith, and Terry Regier, "Language evolution in the lab tends toward informative communication"
- Yang Xu and Charles Kemp, "A computational evaluation of two laws of semantic change"
- Yang Xu, Terry Regier, and Barbara C. Malt, "Semantic chaining and efficient communication: The case of container names"
- Yang Xu, Terry Regier, and Nora Newcombe, "An adaptive cue combination model of spatial reorientation"
"Semantic chaining and efficient communication" received a prize for computational modeling of language. Congratulations!