Please send information and news of departmental interest to Andrew Garrett.
This week brings most excellent news about the Linguistic Society of America's 2016 Annual Meeting:
- Oana David's accepted paper "A frame semantic approach to the interpretation of null arguments in English and Spanish" will receive one of only three Student Abstract Awards. Congratulations on this awesome honor, Oana!
- Second, last week's Calques managed to omit Hannah Sande's accepted poster "Particle verbs in Guébie (Kru)". This brings to 18 the number of accepted presentations with Berkeley authors. For more precision, the editors present the following count of presentations listed on the LSA website:
- 18: UC Berkeley
- 16: Chicago, NYU
- 14: Ohio State, Stanford
- 11: U. Mass. Amherst
- 9: Arizona, MIT
- 8: Maryland
- 7: UCLA, UC San Diego, Yale
- 6: UC Santa Barbara
- 5: Johns Hopkins
The year's first Inkling will take place on Monday, September 28, from 3:30 to 5 pm in 1229 Dwinelle. All are welcome to our monthly social hour (and a half) with tea, coffee, and potluck treats — you'll find talk about work, life, ideas, and the pursuit of happiness.
- Potluck: We encourage you to bring a treat if your surname begins with the letters A through E. (Examples would include Arbuthnot, Chomsky, and Euler.)
- Prize: A lavish Prize will be given to the author of the most entertaining Limerick, Haiku, or other Short Poetical Composition on the theme of cultivating, cooking, or consuming rice!
- Monday, September 28
- 3:30–5: Inkling (see above)!
- 1–2:30: Laura Henderson (Berkeley and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam), "Rupture and Repair: The Effect of Framing on Legal Discourse after 9/11" (CogNetwork, 1229 Dwinelle)
- 2–3: Susan Lin and Ronald Sprouse, Phonology Lab demo in 52 Dwinelle (Phonetics and Phonology Forum)
- Tuesday, September 29
- Thursday, October 1
- 5–6: weekly SLUgS meeting (Society of Linguistics Undergraduates, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Friday, October 2