Please send information and news of departmental interest to Andrew Garrett.
Congratulations to Jisup Hong (PhD 2012), who has taken a position as an Analytical Linguist at Google!
The 8th California Universities Semantics and Pragmatics Workshop will take place at Stanford on Friday and Saturday, November 6-7. CUSP 8 features two Berkeley speakers:
- Katie Sardinha, "Revisiting -ł and controllability in Kwak'wala"
- Christine Sheil, "Information Focus and Identificational Focus at the Sentence Level"
"Saved by Language" (dir. Susanna Zaraysky and Bryan Kirschen, 2014, 53 min.)
- Tuesday, November 3, 7 pm, Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life, 2121 Allston Way, Berkeley
- "... tells the story of Moris Albahari, a Sephardic Jew from Sarajevo (born 1930), who spoke Ladino (Judeo-Spanish), his mother tongue, to survive the Holocaust. Moris used Ladino to communicate with an Italian colonel who helped him escape to a partisan refuge after he ran away from a train taking Yugoslavian Jews to Nazi death camps. By speaking in Ladino to a Spanish-speaking US pilot in 1944, he was able to lead the pilot and other American and British soldiers, to a safe partisan airport."
- Demo clip here
- Monday, November 2
- 1–2:30: Alexandra Carstensen (Berkeley), "Language evolution in the lab tends toward informative communication" (CogNetwork, 1229 Dwinelle)
- 2–3: Roslyn Burns (Berkeley), "Vowel Shifts in New World Mennonite Communities: Phonetic Findings of Plautdietsch Dialects" (Phonetics and Phonology Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3–5: QP Fest, starring Kenny Baclawski, "Triglossia in Eastern Cham", and Amalia Skilton, "Laryngealization across languages and speakers: The case of Cushillococha Ticuna" (Linguistics Colloquium, 370 Dwinelle)
- Tuesday, November 3
- 10–11: Andrew Garrett (Berkeley), on fieldwork funding (Fieldwork Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3:30–5: Justin Davidson (Berkeley), "Rethinking the Endogenous vs. Language Contact Dichotomy in Language Change: Contact-induced Innovation in the Catalan-Spanish Bilingual Community" (Historical Linguistics Forum, a.k.a. *dhworom, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Wednesday, November 4
- Thursday, November 5
- 5–6: Society of Linguistics Undergraduates, 1229 Dwinelle
- Friday, November 6
- Colloquia at other universities
- UC Merced, Monday, Nov. 2: Sharon Inkelas (Berkeley), "The A-map model: Articulatory reliability in child-specific phonology" (UC Merced CogSci Colloquium, 3 pm)
- Berkeley Linguistics Society, 42nd Annual Meeting, February 5-7, 2016
- abstract deadline Nov. 1
- Annual Conference on African Linguistics, 47th Annual Meeting, Berkeley, March 23-26, 2016
- abstract deadline Nov. 15