Please send information and news of departmental interest to Andrew Garrett.
In yesterday's Big Give, 64 donors gave the Department of Linguistics $6,072 in all; it will be used well. Thanks to everybody who donated. (If you know somebody who still wants to give, our donation link always works.)
- Friday, November 20
- 3–5: Return of the Round Robin (Syntax and Semantics Circle, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3–5: Claire Kramsch (Berkeley) and Anne Whiteside (City College of San Francisco), "What is symbolic competence and what should we do with it?" (Berkeley Language Center Lecture Series, B-4 Dwinelle)
- Monday, November 23
- 1–2:30: Manfred Eppe (ICSI), "A Computational Framework for Conceptual Blending, with Applications in Mathematics and Music" (CogNetwork, 1229 Dwinelle)
- 2–3: Ph Journal Club: Diana Archangeli & Douglas Pulleyblank, "Phonology as an emergent system" (Phonetics and Phonology Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3–5: Steven Bird (Berkeley and Melbourne), "Treasure Language: Rethinking language documentation and revitalization" (Linguistics Colloquium, 370 Dwinelle)
- Tuesday, November 24
- Wednesday through Sunday, November 25-29: No Linguistics events!
- Events at other universities
Good luck to everybody running in Sunday's Berkeley Half Marathon! Everybody else: please get out of the way.