Please send information and news of departmental interest toAndrew Garrett.
We in the Department of Linguistics seek the support of our friends in Berkeley'sBig GiveonThursday, November 17. Big Give is an annual online fundraising event that gives all of us in Cal's extended community the opportunity to support our university through gifts to the programs and schools we care about the most. Last year Linguistics raised over $6,000, mostly from small donations. This year, we'd love to raise $10,000 or even more in this one-day fundraising event. Big Give begins at 9 pm (Pacific time) on Wednesday, November 16, and continues through 9 pm on Thursday, November 17. The link for Big Give donations ishere.
This year's QP Fest is onMonday, November 7(3-5 pm, 370 Dwinelle):
- Alice Shen, "Costs and cues in code-switched lexical access"
- Andrew Cheng, "Heritage Korean and ethnic identity in California"
- Emily Clem, "Decomposing ergativity: Evidence for the featural complexity of ergative case"
- Erik Hans Maier, "Two-part universal quantification in a determinerless language: The case of Tswefap"
- Geoff Bacon, "Inducing phonological knowledge from distributional data"
- Meg Cychosz, "Sources of variation in an emerging Parisian French vernacular"
- Virginia Dawson, "A new kind of epistemic indefinite"
All are welcome for the talks and then a reception (5-6 pm). Après nous le déluge!
- Friday, November 4
- 11–12:30:Suzanne Stevenson(Toronto), "How Languages Carve Up the World: Modeling Developmental and Linguistic Relativity Effects" (Institute of Cognitive and Brain Sciences, 5101 Tolman) )
- 3–4:30:Peter Jenks, "Hyperraising from pseudorelatives in Moro" (Syntax & Semantics Circle, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 3–5:Michael Lucey(Berkeley), "What you might hear when people talk, or Proust as a linguistic anthropologist" (Linguistic Anthropology Working Group, Gifford Room, 221 Kroeber Hall)
- Monday, November 7
- Tuesday, November 8
- 1–2: SPREAD (Sociophonetic Research Exchange and Discussion, 57 Dwinelle)
- Wednesday, November 9
- Thursday, November 10
- 12:30–2: GoOD InTEnSIOnS (Semantics reading group, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 12:30–2: Discussion of Wedel et al. 2013, "Functional load and the lexicon" (*dhworom, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Events at other universities