Please send information and news of departmental interest toAndrew Garrett.
The first Inkling of 2016-17 will take place on Monday, September 26, from 3:30 to 5 pm in 1229 Dwinelle. All are welcome to our monthly social hour (and a half) with tea, coffee, and potluck treats — you'll find talk about work, life, ideas, and the pursuit of happiness, as well as an exciting Contest and an Awesome Prize.
- Potluck:If your last name begins with the lettersA-G(e.g.Garrett), you are encouraged to bring something tasty. The department will provide beverages (coffee, tea, juice).
- Contest & Prize:On the occasion of a birthday, an immensely desirable prize will be given for the very best costume or other impersonative act conveying the essence of scholarly distinction, Africanistics, and tonology. The only way to win is to enter!
The creators of the new Berkeley linguistics website have mostly finished their treatment of department history:
Addenda (including relevant photographs) and corrigenda are welcomed!
- Saturday, September 24
- 9:30–4:30: PHonology Research weekEND (PHREND): Stevenson College, UC Santa Cruz
- Monday, September 26
- 12–1: Ronald Sprouse (Berkeley), "Berkeley Phonetics Machine Presentation" (Phonetics and Phonology Forum, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 12–1:30:Michael Tessler(Stanford), "Words are vague, or a pragmatic theory of generic language" (Psychology Department, 3105 Tolman Hall)
- 1–2:30:Anastasia Smirnova(SFSU), "Evidentiality and inferential reasoning: Experimental investigations " (CogNetwork, B-4 Dwinelle Hall)
- 2:30–4: Discussion of Chase Raymond, "Linguistic reference in the negotiation of identity and action: Revisiting the T/V distinction" (Romance Linguistics Working Group, 4125a Dwinelle)
- 3:30–5: Inkling #1 (see above)
- Tuesday, September 27
- Wednesday, September 28
- 5–6:Arlo Faria, Talk on Natural Language Processing (SLUgS = Society of Linguistics Undergraduate Students, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Thursday, September 29
- 12:30–2: GoOD InTEnSIOnS (Semantics reading group, 1303 Dwinelle)
- 12:30–2: Discussion of Juliette Blevins, "A theoretical synopsis of Evolutionary Phonology" (*dhworom, 1229 Dwinelle)
- Friday, September 30