October 1, 2021
In and around the linguistics department in the next week:
- TABLE: Toward a Better Linguistics Environment - Monday Oct 4 - Zoom and Dwinelle 370 (hybrid) - 3-4:30pm
Kirby Conrod (Swarthmore; joining us virtually): How to ask the gender question.
All who wish to attend, including Berkeley linguists, are required to register in advance, according to your mode of attendance: Zoom registration; in-person registration
If interested in a 1-on-1 meeting, indicate interest in registration or contact the TABLE organizers.
- Fieldwork Forum - Wednesday Oct 6 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom (p/w fforum) - 3:10-4pm
Alex Elias (UC Berkeley): Rapid Speech Phenomena in Tahitian.
- Language Revitalization Working Group - Wednesday Oct 6 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 4-5pm
Claire Bowern, Sarah Babinski, Juhyae Kim, Jeremiah Jewell, Amelia Lake, Kassandra Haakman, Shayley Martin, Marisa Norzagaray, and Irene Yi (Yale): Contemporary Digital Linguistics and the Archive: An Urgent Archival Audit.
- Phorum - Friday Oct 1 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 12-1pm
Yevgeniy Melguy (UC Berkeley): Mechanisms of listener adaptation in perceptual learning for speech.
- Phorum - Friday Oct 8 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 12-1pm
Zion Mengesha (Stanford): TBA.
- Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley - Friday Oct 1 - Dwinelle 5125 and Zoom - 3-4pm
Practice NWAV talks:
- Isaac L. Bleaman (UC Berkeley), Katie Cugno (SF State), and Annie Helms (UC Berkeley): Increased intelligibility (but not formality) in Zoom interviews.
- Jennifer Kaplan (UC Berkeley): Attitudinal effects on vowel fronting among young adults in New York City.
Please email Ben Papadopoulos for the Zoom link and/or to be added to the SLaB mailing list.
- Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley - Friday Oct 8 - Dwinelle 5125 and Zoom - 3-4pm
- Syntax and Semantics Circle - Friday Oct 8 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 3-4:30pm
Maša Bešlin (Maryland): TBA.