October 8, 2021
In and around the linguistics department in the next week:
- TABLE: Toward a Better Linguistics Environment - Monday Oct 11 - Zoom and Dwinelle 370 (hybrid) - 3-4:30pm
Robert Englebretson (Rice): Linguistics, blindness, and braille: Deconstructing sight-centric assumptions and promoting diversity in teaching and research.
All who wish to attend, including Berkeley linguists, are required to register in advance, according to your mode of attendance: Zoom registration; in-person registration
If interested in a 1-on-1 meeting, indicate interest in registration or contact the TABLE organizers.
- Fieldwork Forum - Wednesday Oct 13 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom (p/w fforum) - 3:10-4pm
Hannah Sande (UC Berkeley): Introducing Twisted Tongues: An online alternative to FLEx.
- Language Revitalization Working Group - Wednesday Oct 13 - Dwinelle 370 - 4-5pm
Designated Emphasis in Indigenous Language Revitalization Mixer and Q&A
The Designated Emphasis in Indigenous Language Revitalization is hosting an informal get-together in 370 Dwinelle and you are warmly invited. We will hear about some current student projects and there will be information about the Designated Emphasis, including the application process. There will also be an opportunity to mingle. If you are interested in Language Revitalization this event is for you!
- Phorum - Friday Oct 8 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 12-1pm
Zion Mengesha (Stanford): A Social Meaning Perspective on Vowel Trajectories: The Realization of FEEL and FILL Among African Americans in California.
- Phorum - Friday Oct 15 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 12-1pm
Evelin Balog (Erlangen-Nuremberg): Entrenchment revisited: Old and new concepts and their empirical validation.
- Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley - Friday Oct 8 - Dwinelle 5125 and Zoom - 3-4pm
Discussion of Hall 2021.
Please email Ben Papadopoulos for the Zoom link and/or to be added to the SLaB mailing list.
- Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley - Friday Oct 15 - Dwinelle 5125 and Zoom - 3-4pm
- Syntax and Semantics Circle - Friday Oct 8 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 3-4:30pm
Maša Bešlin (Maryland): A Mayan temporal puzzle.
- Syntax and Semantics Circle - Friday Oct 15 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 3-4:30pm
Sherry Yong Chen (MIT): TBA.
- Zoom Phonology - Monday Oct 11 - Zoom - 10-11am
Katherine Russell (UC Berkeley): Nasality in Ebrié.
For the Zoom link or to be added to the Zoom Phonology mailing list, contact Karee Garvin.