September 6, 2023
Zach O'Hagan sends the following report from the Survey of California and Other Indian Languages:
- Thanks to Anna Macknick, the CLA website now includes a FAQ page, with a video! The page includes information about using our digital catalog, about our holdings, and about access, among other topics.
- We've digitized 101 cassette tapes of Kwtsaan (Yuman) and added them to the Abraham M. Halpern Collection of Kwtsaan Sound Recordings (see items LA250.073-LA250.160). Made in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the tapes primarily feature speakers Howard Allen, Ignatius Cachora, Rosita Carr, Amelia Caster, Henry Collins, John Comet, Jessie Escalanti, Josepha Hartt, and Tom Kelly. To improve the usability of the collection, undergraduate volunteer Naomi Schroeter has added references to associated paper materials in the Margaret Langdon Papers.
- We've accessioned a new collection of sound recordings of Paipai (Yuman; Mexico), made in 1957 by Roger Owen, then a graduate student in anthropology at UCLA, with speaker Loreto González.
- We've accessioned a new collection of materials related to the 1993-1994 Berkeley graduate field methods course on Armenian (Indo-European), with consultant Aleks Göllü and instructor James Matisoff.
- Newly listenable in our Linguistics Lectures collection are William Bright's (PhD 1955) "Plant and Animal Names in Northwestern California" (1964) and Professor Emeritus William Wang's "Phonological Rules and Distinctive Features" (1965) and "Phonological Description and Speech Recognition" (1966). This collection consists mainly of departmental colloquia beginning in 1960, and is being digitized incrementally.
- We've accessioned a new collection of materials related to the 2021 UC San Diego graduate field methods course on Todos Santos Cuchumatán Mam (Mayan), with consultant Angela Ramirez and instructor Emily Clem (PhD 2019).
- We've accessioned a set of small collections of materials related to graduate field methods courses that Margaret Langdon (PhD 1966) taught at UCSD.
- Kumeyaay (1966), consultant Rosalie Robertson
- Kumeyaay (1967), consultant Rosalie Robertson with Fernando Kwaxa as guest
- Kumeyaay (1969), consultant Rosalie Robertson
- Paraguayan Guaraní (1972), consultant Marina dos Santos
- Iñupiaq (1973), consultant Edith Rowray
- Kwtsaan (1975), consultants Christine Emerson, Cynthia Wilson, and others unidentified
- Paraguayan Guaraní (1984), consultant Marina dos Santos
- Kumeyaay (1990), consultant Jane Dumas