How to Report a Climate Problem

Sexual harassment and sexual violence (SHSV)

If you have experienced SHSV, you can talk to a confidential resource at the PATH to Care Center (510 642-1988). "Confidential" means that your information will not be provided to anyone else. If you need help, they can help you. If you're not sure whether to report an incident, you can talk that over with them. To report SHSV, contact the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD). You can call or email them. They are the ones who will initiate an investigation that can lead to formal or informal remedies, as appropriate. They are not a confidential resource. If you have experienced sexual violence, you can also contact the university police department (UCPD).

If you have witnessed an incident of SHSV affecting a student, or one has been reported to you, you should report it to OPHD. You can also contact PATH to Care for advice. Faculty and staff are unambiguously "responsible employees," meaning that they must report incidents affecting students. Graduate students to whom SVSH is reported (or who witness it) as a function of their employment (e.g., if their undergraduate student or research assistant reports it to them as their teacher or supervisor, or as a more senior member of the academic community), are also responsible employees and must report. If you're not sure whether an incident qualifies as reportable, call OPHD or PATH to Care and ask.

Students of concern

If you're worried about a student, this site has a long list of resources, depending on the nature of the concern; the top suggestion is contacting the Students of Concern Committee, a centralized reporting site for concerns. They will reach out to students as appropriate.

Academic misconduct

If you're an instructor and a case of possible academic misconduct has come to your attention, report it to the Center for Student Conduct. They have an online form. You can meet with the student and fill the form out at that time, or do it separately. 

Collegiality issues with department members

Issues that come up between members of the department can often be resolved locally, through consultation with the department chair, the GSI advisor, or simply a trusted faculty member or staff person. Beyond the department, offices exist to assist with conflict resolution and other issues. Students can reach out to any of the following (among others):

The Staff Ombuds Office  is a dedicated resource just for staff; both staff and faculty can contact the Employee Assistance Program at the Tang Center. Faculty can also reach out to the Office for Faculty Equity and Welfare or to one of the faculty Ombudspeople who serve this function for the Academic Senate.