Ian Chen, son of I-Hsuan Chen (PhD '15) and Tim Chen, was born on Sept. 12. Welcome, baby!
September 26, 2018
September 20, 2018
A group of students, faculty, alumni, and friends of Berkeley linguistics were on hand this Wednesday evening to cheer the Oakland A's to a 10-0 victory over the visiting LA Angels!
September 18, 2018
Alumna Miriam R. L. Petruck (PhD '86) writes to share news of her edited book MetaNet, recently published by John Benjamins. The book contains contributions by Miriam and fellow alumni Karen Sullivan (PhD '07), Elise Stickles (PhD '16), Oana David (PhD '16), Ellen Dodge (PhD '10), and Jisup Hong (PhD '12), along with faculty member Eve Sweetser and emeritus faculty member George Lakoff.
Congrats to alumna Oana David (PhD 2016), who has just taken up a new position as an Analytic Linguist at Google!
September 12, 2018
Taking advantage of the visual possibilities afforded by the new Calques format, we present some recent evidence of Berkeley linguists out and about. Send your photos of linguistics-in-action to Calques!
The Berkeley Crew at LabPhon16: Yao Yao (PhD 2011), Charles Bond Chang (PhD 2010), Grant McGuire (former postdoc), Keith Johnson, Matt Faytak (PhD 2018), Myriam Lapierre, Jeremy Steffman (BA 2016), Hannah Sande (PhD 2017), Alice Shen, Andrew Cheng and Alan Yu (PhD 2003).
September 7, 2018
Keith Johnson and alumna Sarah Bakst (PhD '17) have a new open access paper out this July (published with financial assistance from the University Library for open access publishing):
Sarah Bakst, and Keith Johnson (2018) Modeling the effect of palate shape on the articulatory-acoustics mapping, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 144.
The annual meeting of Sinn und Bedeutung, taking place this week in Barcelona, features five presentations by Berkeley students, faculty, and very recent alumni:
- Emily Clem: Attributive adjectives in Tswefap: Vague predicates in a language with degrees
- Virginia Dawson and Amy Rose Deal: Third readings by semantic scope lowering: prolepsis in Tiwa
- Amy Rose Deal and Vera Hohaus: Vague predicates, crisp judgments
- Ruyue Agnes Bi (BA '18) and Peter Jenks : Pronouns, radical pro-drop, and ellipsis in Mandarin
- Rachel Rudolph (Berkeley philosophy): A Closer Look at the Perceptual Source in Copy Raising Constructions
September 6, 2018
Alumnus Len Talmy (PhD '72) writes to share news of his book The Targeting System of Language, published earlier this year by MIT Press.
August 31, 2018
Congrats to newly minted PhD Matt Faytak, who has recently started a post-doc position at UCLA!
Congrats to Jonathan Manker (PhD 2017), who has recently taken up a lecturer position at Rice University!
- Grammatical tone: Typology and theory
Nicholas R. Rolle
- The Semantics of Kwak'wala Object Case
Katherine Ann Sardinha
- Contrastive topic in Eastern Cham
- Spell-out, Chains, and Long Distance Wh-movement in Seereer
- Overt versus Zero Pronouns in Mandarin Chinese
- Definite Spans and Blocking in Classifier Languages
- The Syntax of Matsigenka Object-Marking
August 24, 2018
A hearty congratulations to the new PhDs awarded in the past few months:
- Nico Baier, PhD!
- Auburn Barron-Lutzross, PhD!
Speech Stereotypes of Female Sexuality
- Matt Faytak, PhD!
Articulatory uniformity through articulatory reuse: insights from an ultrasound study of Sūzhōu Chinese
- Jack Merrill, PhD!
The Historical Origin of Consonant Mutation in the Atlantic Languages
- Nicholas Rolle, PhD!
Grammatical tone: Typology and theory
- Tammy Stark, PhD!
Congrats to alumna Molly Babel (PhD 2009, Associate Professor at UBC) on the August 15 birth of her daughter Zelda Esther! Molly writes: "Zelda kept us in a bit of suspense, joining us in the world 13 days late. She measures in at 3420 grams / 7.5 pounds, 49 cm / 19.25 inches, and 100 metric / 100 imperial units of adorable. She's pretty swell!"