Applying to UC Berkeley and Declaring the Major

Students who wish to attend UC Berkeley as undergraduates must apply to the University in November for the following fall semester. There is no application required for study in the Linguistics department. Application packets can be obtained in October from most California high school or community college counselors' offices, from any UC campus, or by contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admission and Relations, 110 Sproul Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-5800, (510/642-3175). The application also is available on-line. Go to the University of California admissions site.

All transfer students must meet UC eligibility requirements and the College of Letters and Science "Essential Skills" requirements for admission. Information is available at

Declaring the Linguistics Major

To declare the Linguistics major, it is necessary first to complete Linguistics 100 with a grade of "C" or better and then submit the "Major Declaration Petition" ONLINE at or schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor at Most students who petition for the Linguistics major do so in their junior year.