In and around the linguistics department in the next week:
- TABLE: Toward a Better Linguistics Environment - Monday Oct 18 - Zoom and Dwinelle 370 (hybrid) - 3-4:30pm
Kelly Elizabeth Wright (Michigan): Raciolinguistic Ideologies as Institutionaized Linguistic Racism.
All who wish to attend, including Berkeley linguists, are required to register in advance, according to your mode of attendance: Zoom registration; in-person registration
If interested in a 1-on-1 meeting, indicate interest in registration or contact the TABLE organizers.
- Fieldwork Forum - Wednesday Oct 20 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom (p/w fforum) - 3:10-4pm
Danielle Ronkos (Datapeople) & Zach Wellstood (UC Berkeley): The making of the Sikles Language Portal: a community-facing thematic web dictionary.
- Language Revitalization Working Group - Wednesday Oct 20 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 4-5pm
Prem Phyak (The Chinese University of Hong Kong): Multilingual Policy, 'Mother Tongue' Education, and the Neoliberal Politics of English as a Medium of Instruction
- Phorum - Friday Oct 15 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 12-1pm
Evelin Balog (Erlangen-Nuremberg): Entrenchment revisited: Old and new concepts and their empirical validation.
- Phorum - Friday Oct 22 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 12-1pm
Natalie Weber (Yale): Correspondence of prosody and syntax by phase in a polysynthetic language.
- Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley - Friday Oct 15 - Dwinelle 5125 and Zoom - 3-4pm
Discussion of Mena & García 2021.
Please email Ben Papadopoulos for the Zoom link and/or to be added to the SLaB mailing list.
- Syntax and Semantics Circle - Friday Oct 15 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 3-4:30pm
Sherry Yong Chen (MIT): Asymmetry in Presupposition Projection in If-Conditionals: An Acquisition Perspective.
- Syntax and Semantics Circle - Friday Oct 22 - Dwinelle 1303 and Zoom - 3-4:30pm
NELS practice talks:
- Madeline Bossi: Negative bias and pragmatic reasoning in Kipsigis belief reports
- Amy Rose Deal: Negative concord as downward Agree
- Emily Drummond: Abstract Case without morphological case
- Rebecca Jarvis: Elided antecedents and exceptive sluices